Four Mushroom Risotto
When I first became a mum and cooking was the last thing on my mind, my husband learned to make a version of a mushroom risotto that then got made for each of our friends and family for the week after giving birth. It's that perfect comforting warm dish; creamy yet with no dairy. I also think it is a winner for kids, as you can get a bunch of protein in with the variety of mushrooms that I am sure they would not eat normally and as you know, with variety of foods come variety of nutrients. Bonus!
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 Tbsp of olive oil
1 brown onion diced finely
1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
1 cup of Swiss brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
1-2 cups ( or packet) of Shitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 bunch of Enoki mushrooms
1/2 cup of button mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 bunches of asparagus, chopped
1) Heat the stock up in a pot. Heat the olive oil in a separate large pan and add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
2) Add the rice and stir it in the pot for a minute. Then add about a 1/6 of the vegetable stock from the other pan to the rice. Stir continuously.
3) As the rice aborbs the stock, slowly keep adding more, always stirring.
4) When you have used up about 1/2 of the stock add the mushrooms, 1 type at a time and stir though. Leave the enoki mushrooms though as you add them in the last 5 minutes.
5) When you are down to the last amount of stock, add the asparagus and enoki. Keep stirring! Once ready the rice should be soft and creamy and no water should be left.
6.) Serve warm.