Ayurvedic Spinach and Dahl Soup
This one is not my recipe but I love it so much I wanted to share it with you. It is a wonderful warming dish we learnt from Kim when she did a Ayurvedic Cooking Class for my friends and I. I highly recommend it if your in Sydney. Otherwise find someone who does cooking classes locally for a social yet nurturing afternoon with friends.
1 cup of washed mung dahl
3 cups of water
2 tablespoons of grated ginger
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 can of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of salt
1 bunch of english spinach finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
1/2 teaspoon of ground corinader
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 tablespoon of coconut nectar or maple syrup
2 tablespoon of lime juice
1. Wash the dahl and then add it to a large saucepan with the 3 cups of water.
2. Bring to a boil and scoop off the froth and discard.
3. Add turmeric, ginger and the tablespoon of coconut oil to the dahl and mix. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk and salt to the soup, reheat and then whisk to make smooth.
5. Add spinach, masala and coriander through and stir until the leaves wilt.
6. In a small separate pan roast the cumin and fennel seeds to a few shades darker. Then add these and the syrup to the soup. Squeeze the lime juice in.
7. Eat with awareness and love. This dish heals!