French Meals Gone Healthy... Could it be True!
Eating out in France is an amazing experience. I loved walking inside into a toasty ambient space after being out in the freezing cold! However being a health conscious or vegan in France is not as easy as elsewhere...but it is getting much better than the last time I went. While many places you still will be lucky as a vego to get a side of green salad as your main meal, many other places are becoming increasingly creative and embracing the organic, health movement, including offering vegetarian or vegan options on their menus. I loved the list on Time Out website with some great recommendations for me to eat at. At one place, Bioboa, we had a great dish, that felt "French" in style and used quinoa in a different way than we normally do at home.
So here is a version of a super simple recipe for a Mushroom Quinoa Risotto.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 200g quinoa
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- handful thyme leaves
- handful vegetarian alternative cheese ( I don't normally use these in my cooking but it gave it typical french creaminess)
- 50g bag rocket, to serve
- 1 lemon juiced
- sprinkle of salt
- Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water to remove any residual husks. Allow to drain thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, sauté the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned, and then set them aside.
- In a large saucepan heat some more oil and the sliced leek for 3 minutes and then stir in the quinoa. Heat contantly stirring for 2 minutes.
- Have the vegetable stock warm in a separate pan on a low heat. When ready add it all to the quiona and bring it all to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is soft. Add the mushrooms and the vegetarian cheese and stir for a couple of ,inutes.
- Take it off the heat and mix through the lemon juice, thyme and salt.
- Serve with a small handful of rocket on top.