We eat a lot of raw vegetable sticks and wraps in our house. A great way to add flavour and nutrients is to add dips. They are so easy to make and can store in the fridge in an airtight container for later. These are two of our favourite.
Beetroot is a great blood cleansing food. They are high in Vitamin A, C and B vitamins and taste great!
- 900g beetroots
- 2 garlic gloves
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- Optional- 250g greek yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Place washed beetroot in a roasting tin and cook in oven for around 1 hour.
- Allow them to cool to touch and peel them and then cut them into pieces.
- Place the beetroot, garlic, chilli in a food processor and blend into a paste. Transfer into a mixing bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Chick peas in hummus are a great source of plant-based protein. They are also high in iron, magnesium and calcium. Add the tahini for the extra iron and it becomes a great mineral source for vegetarians and others!
- 2 cups of soaked chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100ml of water
- The juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- 4 teaspoons of tahini
- 2 garlic gloves crushed
- salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas over night. Then rinse them and remove any foam. Place them in boiling water for between 30-40 minutes until soft.
- Rinse them and then put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend.